ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Firefighters issued a reminder to the Star City community about the importance of smoke alarms after a kitchen fire broke out in northwest Roanoke early Sunday morning, leaving four people and 11 pets displaced.
According to Roanoke Fire-EMS, crews were dispatched shortly before 4:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 13 for a fire in the 700 block of Brownwood Drive NW, receiving assistance from Salem Fire-EMS.
When units arrived at the scene, they found flames showing from the rear of the home, as well as smoke showing from the roof.
There are no reports of injuries to first responders or the occupants of the home.
The department says the American Red Cross is helping the two adults, two children, one dog, and 10 snakes displaced by the fire.
Fire officials tell WFXR News the fire — which was deemed accidental — started in the kitchen, but caused an estimated $40,000 in damages to the house and its contents.
“There were no smoke alarms in the home,” the department said in a statement on Monday, March 14. “Roanoke Fire-EMS reminds residents that all homes should have smoke alarms. Three out of five home fire deaths are from fires in properties without working smoke alarms.”
If you are a Roanoke resident who needs help obtaining smoke alarms for your home, you may call the Fire Marshal’s Office at 540-853-2795.