ADDINSON, TEXAS — Petco Love, a nonprofit organization founded by retailer Petco, has partnered with Partnership With Native Americans (PWNA) to provide Native American communities with pet food and pet vaccines. About 10,000 lbs of cat and dog food will be distributed at free vaccine clinics throughout reservations in the Southwest and Northern Plains. About 70% of the food and vaccines are for dogs, while the other 30% are for cats.
According to PWNA, Native American reservations often lack local stores that offer affordable pet food. Petco Love donated 5,000 lbs of pet food to PWNA’s distribution centers in Rapid City, S.D., and Phoenix, Ariz., which will be distributed throughout March at participating reservations.
After declaring March as National Pet Vaccination Month, Petco Love partnered with PWNA to offer free vaccines and veterinary care to these communities. In reservations, overpopulation of strays, limited veterinary care and tight family budgets, leave many pets without vaccines or health care, according to PWNA.
“Thanks to Petco Love, our partners will be able to offer these important vaccines at no cost to pet guardians in Native American communities,” said Ashleigh Hughes, vice president of development and communications, PWNA. “In addition, Petco’s gift of 10,000 lbs of food is estimated to serve between 5,000 and 7,000 pets in 10 to 12 Native American communities across the country. This project is a positive step toward addressing animal welfare issues and will be a welcome relief to our tribal partners who support healthy pets in these communities.”
Stay up to date on the latest pet food processing industry headlines on our News page.