iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Dogs of all ages, shapes, and sizes love toys, and the market is absolutely flooded with all kinds. To make shopping for dog toys a little easier on you, the parent, the following list names the 16 best dog toys for all types of dogs and behaviors.
The toys your dog prefers depends largely on their breed, age, and particular personality. When you’re shopping for your dog’s potential new favorite toy, here are a few things you should consider:
- Durability: If your dog is the type to destroy everything, you might want to invest in a toy made of particularly sturdy material. Certain brands are more known for this type of design.
- Engagement: Dogs use toys for different reasons. Some toys fall under the enrichment category, some toys are made purely to comfort your dog, and others are intended to keep your dog active.
- Size: As a general rule, dog toys should be small enough to fit in your dog’s mouth but too large to be swallowed. Most toys will come in different sizes, and you should select the one made for your dog’s size or breed type.
Best Toys For Large Breed Dogs
You can’t go wrong with the classic KONG Extreme Dog Toy. It bounces in unpredictable patterns, and you can stuff it with treats to keep your dog engaged.
- Rubber toy’s unpredictable bounce makes for exciting play
- Stuff it with treats, peanut butter, or other tasty fillings
- Designed for power chewers
- Available in four sizes
Best Toys For Small Breed Dogs
The KONG Plush Duck Dog Toy is so cute, and it will look even cuter with your dog cuddled next to it. These toys contain less stuffing in case your pup manages to rip one apart.
- Made of soft plush
- Replaceable squeaker
- Contains less stuffing for less of a potential mess
Best Toy For Teething Puppies
Nylabone makes a reliable chew toy, and the Nylabone Teething Pacifier is specifically designed for teething puppies. It’s a cute pacifier for a cute baby dog.
- Encourages nondestructive chewing habits while satisfying your dog’s natural urge to chew
- Entertaining colors, textures, and flavors to keep your puppy interested
- Design helps clean your dog’s teeth
- Material designed for teething puppies
The Toughest Toys For Chewers
With its durability and unpredictable bouncing movement, the AgriChew™ is just the toy for aggressive chewers. Funny enough, the toy was created by accident when the inventor’s dog started playing with a shock-absorbing piece used in irrigation equipment. It turned out to be a great material for a tough chew toy.
When you purchase this toy, you’re providing 1 dog toy to a shelter in need.
- Your purchase provides 1 dog toy for a shelter in need!
- Made of a tough, yet flexible TPU material that’s non-toxic and pet-safe
- Can also be used as a dental chew
Best Flavored Chew
The Nylabone Power Chew is built with tough nylon, so your dog can spend hours chewing on it. The tasty flavor will make them want to do just that.
- Dogs love the flavor
- Satisfies their natural urge to chew and built with tough nylon
- Keeps dogs occupied
- Ridges and nubs help with plaque and tartar reduction
Best Interactive Toys
The IQ Treat Ball is a dog parent’s favorite toy for entertaining a pup while rewarding them at the same time. Fill the toy with treats or dry food and watch your dog work to get them out.
- Mentally stimulating slow feeder
- Fill it with treats or dry food
- Available in two sizes
- Made from hard plastic that disassembles for cleaning
Best For Mental Stimulation
The Sniff Diggy™ Fun Mental Stimulation Nose Work Mat develops your dog’s most vital sensory skill: their sense of smell. The activity mimics the foraging and hunting activities of their wolf ancestors. Your purchase of the Sniff Diggy™ mat provides 1 dog toy to a shelter in need.
- When you purchase this product, you’re providing 1 dog toy for a shelter in need!
- Easy-to-use nose work mat provides sensory and cognitive stimulation for your pup
- Build your dog’s focus and enhance obedience training
Best Treat Puzzle Toy
The OurPets Sushi Treat Dispensing Puzzle not only looks classy, but it’s also an entertaining activity for your dog. Hide treats in the compartments, and your dog will have fun finding and eating them.
- Place treats in the compartments and your dog will slide the sushi to find them
- A fun alternative to slow feeder bowls
- Easy to hand wash
- Made of high-quality, durable materials
Best Plush Puzzle Toy
There are a few reasons the Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Squeaky Puzzle Plush Dog Toy is so popular. It keeps dogs entertained for a long time and supports their natural hunting instincts. The company also makes plush puzzle toys in different styles, but this squirrel/tree trunk seems most natural, right?
- Supports your dog’s natural hunting instincts
- Stuff the squirrels into the tree trunk and watch your pup sniff them out!
- Soft plush and durable build for ruff players
Best Plush Squeaker Toy
The goDog Gator with Chew Guard is a cute and deceptively durable toy for both chewers and cuddlers. It’s built to last and to entertain for hours.
- Made using GoDog’s proprietary Chew Guard Technology
- It squeaks!
- Soft plush exterior
- Highly-rated on both Chewy and Amazon
Quiet Squeaker Toys Only Dogs Can Hear
Even though it means the dog’s having fun, sometimes hearing that squeak squeaking over and over again can get pretty old. This HEAR DOGGY! toy’s squeaking can only be heard by your dog, so they get the same benefits of squeaker toys without bugging you.
- Ultrasonic HEAR DOGGY! toys are made with a squeaker only your dog can hear
- Gives your pup the same sensation and enjoyment of traditional squeaky toys without the irritating noise
- Chew-resistant lining and durable seams
Best Toys For Throwing
The Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy is a great fetch toy, perfect for both dry land bouncing and fetch at the lake. It’s built tough for chasers who like to chew hard as well.
- Textured surface for high bounces and thick rubber core for tough chewers
- Lightweight, buoyant design for playing fetch in the water too
- 5-Star Amazon rating
Cutest Toys For Aesthetic Parents
The Haute Diggity Dog Muttini Collection just screams of class. From “Barkweiser” to “Lick Croix” to “White Paw Hound Selzer, the funny yet recognizable parody labels will make every hour happy hour for you and your dog.
- Adorable bottles parody existing drink brands so your dog can “drink” with you
- Durable plush
- Available in over funny and cute 30 styles
Best Frisbee Type Toy
Tuffy’s No Stuff Ultimate Ring Plush Dog Toy is a durable, ring-shaped toy for tug-of-war and tossing/catching. It floats in water, and it’s machine-washable.
- Play fetch or tug-of-war with this durable, ring-shaped toy
- Floats in water and machine-washable
- Up to 4 layers of fabric
- Intended for active play, not chewing
Best Rope Type Toy
For a rope-loving dog, you can’t go wrong with the Mammoth Flossy Chews Rope Tug. It’s colorful, durable, and comes in a variety of sizes for different sizes and breeds of dog.
- Designed for tug-of-war, tossing, and chewing
- Made from premium North American Cotton-Poly yarns finished with sturdy knots
- Sizes range from mini to XL
Best Tech Toys
If you’re a tech-lover and you miss your dog all day long, the SKYMEE Owl Robot: Mobile Full HD Pet Camera with Treat Dispenser lets you interact with them from afar. Throw your dog a treat with a button push or move the robot around for them to chase. You can even talk to them with audio capabilities.
- You remote control the robot via an app
- 1080p Full HD Pet Camera with 4x zoom and night vision
- Treat-tossing and 2-way audio capabilities so you can interact with your dog from afar
- Long battery life for 8 hours of continuous use